Thursday, April 6, 2023

#Final Blog Post


Media Law 

My Relationship With Technology

Alayna Yelverton

     Introduction 

My Relationship with Technology 

    My relationship with technology has always been a vivid part of my life. Over the years we have become more reliant on technology. 
Media offers a wide range of entertainment options, some of those being movies, music, TV shows, and video games. I use technology to unwind after a long day and allows me to escape from my daily routine, despite my use of technology during the day. The relationship I have with technology is very important to me but at times can be very unhealthy. I am constantly using social media platforms and news to grasp all that is going on in the world wether it interest me or not, I like to stay on my toes and informed.

Childhood Technology 

    Growing up I never understood how important the progression of technology really was. During my early childhood I was not allowed to use any kind of technology during the school week unless it was needed for homework or while I was at after school. 
I looked forward to the weekends where I could spend my free time on technology. Although I was unable to play my Wii, Nintendo DS, computer or watch tv during the week I strongly believe I was introduced to the importance of technology at a young age. During the free time I was allowed on weekends I spent a good amount of time on virtual reality games. Multiplayer virtual reality games allow players to interact with other people in a virtual space from all around the world, which requires those who used these sites to communicate effectively and work together.   
Now that I look back at the free time I spent on Fantage, Club Penguin or Animal Jam, virtual reality games helped me develop social skills such as communication, collaboration, and teamwork through technology. 

Technology Development

    Technology became more serious for me as my early childhood progressed. I started to rely on the internet/media to complete my school work wether that was for a research project/presentation, Khan Academy to help me with math or just advancing my knowledge on topics from my school day. During my fifth grade school year Instagram had already been around for a couple years but because of my young age my parents were not ready to introduce me to the world of social media. Getting my Instagram account truly sparked my interest in communicating and networking with other people using technology. I used my platform on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep those around me updated about my competitive dance and golf accomplishments. At an early age I started creating my own digital foot print which I did not know was a thing until my teenage years. 

 -Linkedin & Building My Online Presence  

    Although I had already started my digital foot print and online presence during my younger years I used these online platforms to figure out what I wanted to do when I got older. My mother introduced me to Linkedin, she wanted me to get a head start to tracking my accomplishments and extracurriculars. I realized very soon that technology was not just for fun it hold real meaning and either make or break your reputation. Media has a profound impact on how we perceive ourselves, the world around us, and the issues that effect us.

Technology & Internships

    The summer leading up to my sophomore year of high school I interned with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police department. Working with the city of Charlotte in law enforcement opened my eyes to the many different ways people use technology. I worked to find a specific area of work I would throughly enjoy, we partnered with several businesses within the Charlotte area some being the Carolina Panthers, Mecklenburg County Park and Rec, Bank of America and the Charlotte Fire Department. These external relationships were built during in person event but but as interns we were responsible for expanding our network through technology platforms. 

    Building those relationships and networking with those businesses in my area allowed me to intern with the Mayors Youth Employment Program. During this summer internship Covid-19 was amongst us not only did we rely on technology like ever before, but we only had our media presence, digital footprint and resume to back our skills as interns. The pandemic changed everything when it came to technology, we relied on Zoom, Instant Message and Linkedin to update our portfolios throughout the process of our summer internship. During my internship with the Mayors Youth Employment I realized how much technology truly meant to me. I was assigned a virtual reality project with the fortune 500 company Sealed Air. With this project I was given the task to produce a prototype of an app that would tackle healthcare instabilities. During the production of  this prototype I was introduced to Canva for the very first time. After being apart of both of these internships I was introduced to the true importance of technology and how much it has altered the work that we do along with the dangers that come with the access we have to these platforms. 

My Passion & Technology 

    Although I did not find a passion for law enforcement or healthcare, technology opened many doors for me. Because I was given these opportunities so early I was able to sell myself along with my technological skills to those in the next steps of my life. Upon my senior year I knew I always had a love for sports along with my love for creating visibility for women in sports. When I got to college I got right to it, I joined several organizations to build my network and gather all of the skills needed to be successful in the world of sports. My goal is to enhance the fan experience of those watching sports at home. 

1. I started by becoming a statistician and color commentating on the radio for HPU athletics. I had to use prior knowledge along with research to gather information prior to game I would be working. This allowed me to be prepared for any curve ball that could possibly happen during the game of play.

2. I interned for the Atlantic Coast Conference in media and game day operations, I was able to establish a true social media presence for women in sports. I worked  behind the scenes during ACC championship tournaments, technology was a prime asset to making sure these game days ran smoothly and media operations were conducted the proper way.

3. This summer I will be working for CBS Sports in New York City, conducting video editorial research and creating storylines for sports talk shows and broadcasts. Digital footprint will play a huge role in my findings, because I continuously use sports news sources to find updated media 12 hours of the day even when I do not want to see sports content, the internet says otherwise.


My Digital Footprint


    My Digital footprint obviously started at a very young age. The places I have worked, the people I have networked with, those from my early childhood along with my interest on all platforms will always follow me. From a very young age my parents instilled in me that reputation is everything, and anything I put out for the world to see should be the best me which has always kept me on my feet. When I look myself up online, I see nothing but great things that have followed me throughout my years, wether thats my extracurriculars, community service or work. I have established a digital footprint for myself that will allow those from the outside who do not know me personally to get a true feel for what I am all about.

     There are other features that have played a big role in  my digital footprint, TikTok. Because of the interest I have in greek life along with my viral video of me becoming a member in my sorority. I wanted to express to the world my love for my sorority which opened my platform up to 265.3k viewers. Of course my TikTok has traced my digital footprint and sports and greek life related posts are all I receive on my fyp (for you page).  

    Technology plays a huge role in my life just like anyone else's, I rely on all forms of media to be at the touch of a hand when needed. My online presence is something I am proud of. 





Presentation Link 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#Final Blog Post

Media Law  My Relationship With Technology Alayna Yelverton      Introduction  My Relationship with Technology        My relationship with t...